Why do people like playing poker? Because they want to win… simple as that. In the world of poker tournaments and competitions, winnings can be massive. In fact, in 2020, there was a massive winner in Toronto. After taking part in the World Series of Poker, they walked away with a staggering $27,559,500 – making its way into the Guinness World Records.
The good news is that you don’t even have to sit around a real poker table to get hold of these wins anymore. Head over to any of the casinos found at GoodLuckMate and you will find all different poker games, where you can practise your skills and then play for big money – and maybe hope to be added to the list of biggest winners.
However until then, here are the biggest poker wins of all time – online and off!
World Series of Poker
If you’re looking for a large poker tournament, on or offline then you can’t ignore the WSOP. This dominates the scene thanks to the size of the event and the resulting prize pool it ammasses every year.
It has remained at the top for the last ten years – with its prize pool increasing year upon year. The first year the prize reached $1 million was in 1983 – and by the mid-2000s it was as high as $10 million.
Poker goes Online
The WSOP has inspired players all over the world, all looking to win those million-dollar prizes. However, WSOP aside, you can actually win millions of dollars simply from one stand-alone poker game.
The highest paying event in the world, in terms of prize money, however, remains to be the World Series of Poker, with the main event valued at a massive $10 million. But, if you can’t be there, for whatever reason, online tournaments are a great second choice. Nowadays, there are all different online casino sites that hold regular poker tournaments.
This gives players the chance to enrol in all different competitions and walk away with huge sums of money… even worth millions. In fact, the biggest ever online poker tournament was the 2010 World Online Poker World Championship (WCOOP). This tournament, held by PokerStars, had a buy-in of $5,200 and attracted 2443 players, accruing a prize pool of over $12,22 million. The first-place player walked away with $2.3 million.
The Biggest WSOP Wins
Out of the 15 largest wins in the world of poker games, 12 of these have come from the World Series of Poker. The five biggest are as follows:
- The WSOP Main Event in 2014: In the finals, 9 players fought it out for the big prize. The first-place player walked away with a very tidy $10 million!
- The SOP Main Event in 2006: Eight years prior, we had the WSOP 2006, which was purported to be the biggest tournament in the history of poker tournaments. This is because it attracted over 8,000 players and the prize pool went up to $82,512,162. The winner ended up with $2 million.
- The Big One for One Drop in 2014: This was originally formed for a not-for-profit organisation – the One Drop Foundation. It had a massive amount of money in wins – even bigger than the WSOP Main event! The first-place players won a whopping $15.3 million.
- The Big One for One Drop in 2018: This was an event which paid out winnings worth $43 million overall, with the first-place winner taking home $10 million.
- The Big One for One Drop in 2012: Thai was another massive tournament, paying out prizes from its cash pool of $42 million. The biggest winner walked away with $8.35 in prize money.